Immigration is the international movement of people to a destination country of which they are not natives or where they do not possess citizenship in order to settle as permanent residents or naturalized citizens.

According to the applicable laws, foreign citizens may obtain a Permanent residence permit in Belarus if they:

  • have been granted refugee status or asylum in the Republic of Belarus;
  • exercise their right to a family reunion;
  • they have a relative or relatives who are citizens of the Republic of Belarus. Priority is given to close relatives but distant relatives may also be considered;
  • have obtained a temporary residence permit and have been continuously living in the Republic of Belarus for the past 7 years;
  • used to be citizens of the Republic of Belarus or lived in the Belarusian Soviet Socialist Republic. Or are the descendants of the former USSR. One of the parents of whom is a Belarusian citizen;
  • are workers and specialists that Belarusian organizations are in need of;
  • possess exceptional skills and talents or have rendered outstanding services to the Republic of Belarus. Or have high achievements in scientific, technical, cultural or sports spheres;
  • are foreign investors, who have invested at least 150 000 euro;
  • Belarusians, or identify themselves as Belarusians. Our ancestors of Belarusians (blood lineal relatives: children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren) born outside the territory of modern Belarus;
  • have the right of obtaining a PRP on other grounds stipulated in the international treaties to which the Republic of Belarus is a party.

For instance, Russian citizens have the right to obtain a PRP simply on the ground of them being Russian citizens.

What documents you need for the application, when immigrating

In order to get a PRP, you must go to the Citizenship and Migration Department (schedule and addresses of CMDs) for your respective district (depending on the place where you live) and ask for the list of required documents. Currently, the list contains the following documents:

  • application (is given at the CaMD itself);
  • document on the presence or absence of convictions brought against you;
  • in the state you previously lived in and its translation (if the document is not originally in Russian);
  • passport (the document certifying the right of going abroad) and its copy. You’ll need its notarized translation into Russian or Belarusian (if it is not originally in Russian);
  • autobiography;
  • the document certifying the ground of obtaining the PRP: for instance, a marriage certificate;
  • 4 coloured identity pictures 4х5 cm;
  • medical certificate;
  • the document certifying the appointment to DACTO – fingerprint scanning procedure;
  • receipts certifying the payment of state fee and payment for the PRP form;
  • documents on the registration in the place of living and documents certifying the possibility of permanently residing in that place. For instance, documents confirming the right of ownership or a lease or tenancy agreement. For information on registering in the place of living please refer to our previous materials.


Types of temporary migration to Belarus

Temporary residence permit

All foreign citizens who are staying on the territory of Belarus for more than 5 days are subject to mandatory state registration, and if they need to stay in the country for more than 90 days, they must apply for a document confirming a temporary residence permit. This permit has a validity period that does not exceed one year. It is also possible to extend it once if there are reasons for it.

A Residence permit

A residence permit is a document issued to foreign citizens or stateless persons that confirms their status on the territory of the Republic of Belarus.

The opportunity to issue a residence permit appears only after the foreigner receives a permanent residence permit in Belarus. A residence permit gives a citizen the right to cross the Belarusian border without a visa. This document confirms that a foreign citizen has the same rights and obligations as citizens of the Republic of Belarus. At first, a residence permit is issued for a period of 2 years, after that for 5 years, and when a person reaches 60 years of age – up to 100 years.

Work permit

With the help of a special permit to attract foreign workers, an employer can completely legally employ citizens of other countries. The employer must have such a permit for every foreign employee, except for citizens of countries with which Belarus has concluded relevant international agreements, or other certain categories of citizens.


The ban on entry to Belarus

As a rule, the ban on entry to Belarus is applied in conjunction with other administrative sanctions, such as deportation or expulsion.

The entry ban is a restriction on entry to Belarus when passing the state border. This ban can be issued for any violations of legislation, be it migration, administrative or criminal law. If a foreigner repeatedly commits an offense, their chances of getting the entry ban are greatly increased.

The period for which a person will be banned from entering the country is determined by taking into account the circumstances under which this person received such a ban, the general characteristics of the citizen and the analysis of their positive or negative contribution to the development of the Republic of Belarus.

The above-mentioned ban has a duration of six months to 5 years, and in case of expulsion – up to 10 years.

In addition, you won’t be able to work in public service or buy land in ownership.


Why immigrate to Belarus

Every year Belarus becomes more and more attractive country for foreign businessmen. Development of foreign economic relations led to that for the last years the most frequent reason for immigration to Belarus is business opening here or investments in already existing.

Ordinary foreign citizens as well as businessmen, too with pleasure move to our country. After all in Belarus not only fine ecology and the beautiful nature but also a worthy standard of living which constantly raises. Besides, all new workplaces not only for citizens of our country but also for foreigners are annually created.